FAQ – Slip & Fall Lawyer in the North Shore Area

If you’ve been involved in a slip and fall accident in the Essex County and Boston area, get in touch with Attorney Mark Horrigan today! Attorney Horrigan has helped many people through their slip and fall claims and has successfully won thousands of dollars for victims of negligence. Learn what to do after a slip and fall accident below, then reach out to our team to get started. Our office has Spanish-speaking staff on standby for extra help in navigating your case. We can’t wait to work with you and help you win your maximum settlement.

What should I do immediately after a slip and fall accident?

Seek medical attention if you’re injured and report the incident to the property owner, manager, or staff. If you can, document the scene by taking photos of the hazard and your injuries and collect contact information from any witnesses. These are the steps you should take, if able, for any accident.

Do I need to prove someone else was at fault for my slip and fall accident?

Yes, to pursue a personal injury claim, you typically need to demonstrate that someone else’s negligence led to your accident. This could be the property owner, a business, or another party responsible for maintaining the premises.

What types of hazards might lead to a slip and fall accident?

  • Wet or slippery floors
  • Uneven surfaces or cracked sidewalks
  • Poor lighting
  • Loose carpets or rugs
  • Obstructed walkways

How long do I have to file a claim for a slip and fall accident?

The statute of limitations varies by location. It’s crucial to consult with a personal injury attorney to ensure you don’t miss any deadlines.

What compensation can I seek for my slip and fall injuries?

  • Medical expenses, including past and future treatment.
  • Lost wages and future earning capacity if your injuries prevent you from working.
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damage
  • Other out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident.

Should I accept the property/business owner’s settlement offer?

It is recommended to consult with a personal injury attorney such as attorney Mark Horrigan before accepting any settlement offer. Attorney Horrigan can evaluate the offer to ensure it compensates you for your injuries, pain and suffering, and other future ongoing expenses.

What if the property or business owner denies liability for my slip and fall accident?

If the property owner disputes liability, your attorney can investigate further and gather evidence to support your claim. This might involve reviewing surveillance footage, obtaining maintenance records, or consulting with expert witnesses.

Can I still pursue a claim if I was partially at fault for the slip and fall accident?

It depends on the laws in your jurisdiction. Some states follow partial negligence rules, allowing you to recover damages even if you were partially responsible for the accident. Your compensation may be reduced based on your degree of fault.

How long does it take to resolve a slip and fall claim?

The timeline varies depending on the complexity of the case, the extent of your injuries, and other factors. Some cases are settled relatively quickly, while others may require litigation and could take months or even years to resolve. Once your medical treatment is resolved, it could take up to a year to settle the case and provide adequate compensation for accrued bills.

Do I really need a lawyer for a slip and fall case?

While you’re not required to hire an attorney, having legal representation can significantly improve your chances of gaining compensation. An experienced personal injury lawyer can navigate the legal process, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate for your rights, allowing you to focus on your recovery. An attorney like Mark Horrigan is also well-versed in workers’ compensation rights, which could be beneficial should you be an employee fighting both the slip and fall and workers’ comp battle. Reach out to our offices in Lynn, MA – near Boston and greater North Shore towns – today! Se habla español!