Motorcycle Accidents in Massachusetts
Motorcycles offer freedom and convenience as a way to get around in the Boston and Lynn, Massachusetts area. They’ll take you to work or around the state’s many historic and most scenic spots. But there are safety concerns and legal rights that you should know before heading out to the open road.
The attorneys at Horrigan & Norman Law offer experienced legal support under Mark Horrigan and have worked with motorcyclists after accidents to protect their rights and get compensation. We’re here to support you in your motorcycle passion.
As a motorcycle rider, you know how important it is to prepare for the ride. It is just as important to prepare for the unfortunate situation of having a motorcycle accident.
Buying a Motorcycle
To get ready for the ride, you want to choose a bike that fits both your size and your style of riding. Look for a comfortable bike that you can easily handle. The better the fit of the bike, the more enjoyable the ride. Here are questions to ask before you purchase a motorcycle:
- How will you ride the motorcycle? Are you looking for something to zip up the highway? Or is this mostly for around town?
- How heavy is it? Can you easily maneuver it?
- What’s the potential resale value? You may not be thinking about that now, but at some point, you may want to trade it in.
- How much power does it have? Look for a bike that has what you need without having more than you want to handle.
- How much does it cost to maintain? What will the insurance be and how expensive is it to fix? Take a look at your overall investment in this hobby.
Dressing for the part
When you’re dressing for the ride, think about comfort while you’re on the road as well as safey should something go wrong.
Start with a well fitting helmet that’s adjusted properly. You will also want leathers or synthetics that are padded and close-fitting. That will protect you in case of a skid as well as keeping you warmer while on the ride.
Gloves and boots will also help to keep you warm and offer more protection.
What to Know About Motorcycle Laws
Among other motorbike laws, you need a license to ride a motorcycle in Massachusetts. You can start the application online and then bring the required documentation to an RMV Service center to complete the process.
You must be at least 16 to get a motorcycle license in Massachsuetts. If you are under 18, you must obtain written consent from a parent or legal guardian.
What to Know about Being in a Motorcycle Accident
The risk of injury in the case of a motorcycle accident is higher than in a car crash. In both cases, the driver of the vehicle has rights. If you have been in a crash, we can work with you to ensure that those rights are protected.
The most common causes of motorcycle accidents
Being aware of the most common motorcycle accidents can help you to avoid them. They include:
Dangerous road conditions – pot holes, poor lighting or debris in the road create extra hazards for motorcycles.
Unsafe lane changes – automobiles and trucks may abruptly change lanes without paying close attention to potential hazards. They may also fail to see a motorcycle, especially if it’s in a blindspot. Be aware and give other vehicles plenty of room
Lane splitting – riding a motorcycle between lanes of traffic is illegal even if there is room. It presents unpredictable hazards for motorcyclists.
What to know if you have been in a motorcycle accident:
- Call the police. Even if there is no injury, a police report can help later if the other driver makes a claim stating that you were at fault.
- Trade information with the other driver or drivers. This should include names, addresses, contact information, insurance information, license, vehicle make and model, and VIN.
- Document the scene. Take photos and make notes. Record the weather conditions as well as the conditions of the road and signage.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel that you have no or minor injuries, you may be in shock, which can make you numb to pain. Having a medical evaluation can help in securing an insurance settlement or personal injury claim.
If you have been in an accident, we offer a free consultation. We will take the time to talk with you and can guide you through the experience. We can help you fight for your rights and recover damages. Call us now to talk to an expert in handling motorcycle accident claims.